Sunday, June 5, 2011

Feels like Summer

One of my favorite things to do is to hang around outside on a Summer evening.  I have vivid memories from my youth of playing baseball until the sun went down.  Until it became so difficult to see the ball that you actually got scared a line drive would knock your teeth out, simply because you wouldn't be able to see it coming.  I remember that after the sun went down the lightning bugs would come out and my brother and I would go to the garage and get the wiffle ball bats.  It was time for lightning bug baseball!  We would walk around the yard, bat in hand, and wait.  Wait for that instant, yellow glow to appear and then...THWAK!  With one targeted swing, we'd send a mini yellow meteor flying through the air.  It was great fun.  Maybe a bit cruel, I admit, but great fun none the less.

And now here I sit, on a summer evening, on my front porch.  The sun is going down, kids are out playing and I'm reminiscing about those great summer nights.  And it's so nice that it finally feels like a summer night.  We've had to endure such a difficult Spring, with cold temps and wind and rain.  The one good thing about all of that is that it makes you appreciate these golden, sunshine days.  And they always come, the days of sun.  It's up to us to make the most of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment