Sunday, May 29, 2011

BONK!

Two weeks ago I ran 28 at Lester.  Things went well with that run, as well as 28 miles can go.  But afterwards, I got pretty sick.  I lost a full week of training to a nasty virus that kept me from running, and kept me out of work for a bit.  I think that 28 probably depleted my immune system a bit and the virus had free reign to move in and put up a couple of hotels.  The rent was high.

So finally, earlier this week, I started feeling better and was anxious to get back into running again.  So what did I do today?  Another 28 in Lester.  What the hell is wrong with me?  Shouldn't I be getting wiser with my rapidly advancing age?  More and more stubborn seems to be the case.

So today's run started out okay.  I knew I didn't have the bounce in my legs that I like to feel, so I tried to keep it casual for the first lap or two, but on the second loop, I kinda had a feeling that it was going to be a rough day.  Schuney joined my for my third loop and that lifted my spirits again and we ran a bit quicker than what I'd previously been running.

Then Schuney had to go and I was staring into the face of two more loops.  Solo.  This was not going to be pretty.  Today's fourth loop felt like last time's fifth loop and I knew that was a bad omen.  I was able to gut that one out without too much trouble.  The ultimate loop saw my demise.  Within a mile I was reduced to a walk, followed by a shuffle, followed by a walk.  I would repeat this slow dance for the next 4 miles until the last, downhill mile when I had finally had enough suffering and just had to get home.

I had mostly suffered from glycogen depletion, I think.  I probably didn't eat enough the night before the run and I think that effected me.  Plus, I think not having ran very much for the past week and my illness caused me to lose some fitness, certainly some strength.

So lesson learned.  And anyway, it's just a training run.  Bonking isn't a helluva lot of fun but it's better to do it in a training run than it is in a race.  So tonight it's ice cream and compression socks!  That'll fix whatever ails ya!  But man, I could sure use a massage, and a Cadbury Creme Egg.

No comments:

Post a Comment