Saturday, February 5, 2011

15 Along the Lake

It's not very often that I get a chance to run on February 5th in upper 20 degree weather.  Usually it's cold or snowy or windy or all three.  At least it has been for most of the February 5ths of the past 40 years.

So with the nice weather and other incentives, it was nice to get out and run with Dave H. and Henry.  We started out along the lakewalk, headed east and continued on up the North Shore for a few more miles, turning around at about 7.5 miles.  The lakewalk wasn't too bad to run on, the corn snow actually provided a little bit of grip compared to the surface on Wednesday when I ran it last.

We started out running 7:50's or so, which was probably a bit too fast to start with.  After getting to some more appropriate 8 minute miles, Henry turned off to head home and Dave and I sped up a bit.  We got to 6:20s for a bit before I fell off.  I haven't held that pace for quite some time, so my body wasn't ready for that.  It was fun to go quick for a bit though and to be honest, probably good for me too.

Other than the quick pace at the end, I felt totally comfortable the whole time.  It's such a great feeling to be getting in shape, to be getting stronger and fitter.  And then, of course, to know that there's a lot of training to do.  That's a nice thing about having done this for a long time now.  I know what needs to be done and how to go about it.  That knowledge gives me a lot of confidence for the upcoming season but what's really important is having the foresight to know that there may be some bumps in the road.  And if they do happen, I know I have the tools to handle them properly and in turn, to come back stronger.

All in all, a great day.

"It's good to be on the road again."

No comments:

Post a Comment